As we navigate the chilly days, it’s crucial to ensure that your outdoor haven—your deck—braves the winter elements with resilience and charm. We’ve got the inside scoop on Winter Decking Dos and Don’ts to keep your outdoor space looking great and standing strong. Here’s what you need to know:
1. Seal the Deal
- Do: Consider this your deck’s winter armor. Apply a fresh coat of sealant to form a protective barrier against the penetrating effects of moisture, ice, and snow. This preventive measure helps ward off potential warping and decay, keeping your deck in optimal condition.
2. Deck Cleaning
- Do: A clean deck is a happy deck. Embrace the winter season by giving your deck a refreshing cleaning. Start by sweeping away winter debris and snow accumulation. Utilize a deck cleaner to remove any stubborn grime that may have built up over the past few months. Be vigilant about eliminating any traces of mildew or algae to ensure a safe and slip-free deck throughout the winter season.
3. Winterize Your Furniture
- Do: Your deck isn’t just about the wood; it’s also about the furniture that makes it inviting. To ensure your outdoor seating stays in top-notch condition, store it indoors or cover it with weather-resistant materials. A little effort now goes a long way toward preserving your outdoor oasis.
4. Shovel with Care
- Do: Snow can be a deck’s nemesis, but removing it shouldn’t cause harm. When shoveling, use a plastic shovel to avoid scratching the deck’s surface. Opt for a shovel with a wide blade to cover more ground, and remember to shovel parallel to the boards to minimize any potential damage.
5. Mind the Gaps
- Do: The spaces between your deck boards may seem inconspicuous, but they can be a haven for moisture. Regularly check for gaps and fill them with an appropriate sealant. This simple step ensures water doesn’t accumulate, safeguarding your deck against potential damage.
1. Say No to Salt
- Don’t: While salt or ice melt with calcium chloride might be effective in combating ice, it’s not deck-friendly. These substances can be harsh on the wood, leading to discoloration and damage. Opt for sand or alternative ice melt options to avoid compromising your deck’s integrity.
2. Neglect the Gutters
- Don’t: Out of sight doesn’t mean out of mind. Neglecting your gutters can have a domino effect on your deck. Clogged gutters can lead to water overflow onto your deck, potentially causing damage over time. Keep those gutters clean to preserve your deck’s longevity.
3. Skip the Inspection
- Don’t: Your deck deserves a little attention. Regular inspections are crucial to catching potential issues early on. Loose boards, protruding nails, or signs of wear and tear should be addressed promptly. An ounce of prevention now can save you a pound of trouble later.
Dreaming of a winter wonderland right outside your door? Let us bring your winter deck fantasies to life! Connect with us today to discuss how we can design and build the perfect, winter-ready deck for your home.
Stay warm and decked out this winter!