Cheese Grater Lighting
An Easy DIY project
Source: Hallmark Channel
- 3 Cheese graters (Use the 4-sided stand-up cheese grater)
- 3 black pendent hanging Edison lights (I ordered the Edison plug-in hanging socket pendent light fixture in matte black from Amazon)
- 3 “make a lamp” kits (I ordered the lamp base socket kit from Amazon)
- 1 piece of 2”x6” wood cut in three (3) 8”x8” pieces
- Drill bit just slightly larger than your electrical cord
- 3 Light bulbs
- Scissors or wire cutters
OPTIONAL: You can change the color of your cheese graters if you would like. You can spray paint them any color (make sure you use a spray paint that can handle high heat), or you can distress the metal color with a butane torch by applying it to the grater.
1) Spray paint, high heat (Optional)
2) Butane torch (Optional)
1) Choose your favorite cheese graters and hanging pendent lights.
2) Cut your 2”x6” piece of wood into 3 8”x8” square pieces. You can have your local hardware store do this for you if you do not have a saw at home.
3) OPTIONAL: This is where you would either torch or paint the cheese grater.
4) Mark the center of your board and drill a hole just slightly bigger than your cord in the wood.
5) Mark the center of the handle of your cheese graters and drill the same size hole in the top of the cheese grater handles.
6) Cut off the plug end of your electrical cord (MAKE SURE that it is NOT plugged in at the time!)
7) Take your electrical cord and run it up through the cheese grater (so that the socket part would be facing down in the grater). Thread the cord through the cheese grater handle and through the wood.
8) Repeat this step on all pendants.
9) Take the “make a lamp kit” and finish off the cut end of your cord according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
10) Repeat this step on all pendants.
11) Run all three cords together at the very top and attach them together
12) Voila! Plug in your light fixture and enjoy your “grate” glow!
Check out more fun DIY projects at the Home & family Pinterest Page